A Celebration of Art: Kentuck Art Center to offer unique connection to artists nationwide

Going once, going twice, sold! The Kentuck Art Center will host an evening full of local paintings and burlesque performances at their first “Celebration of Art” block party and auction this Saturday from 6-8 p.m.

The fundraiser will feature Pink Box Burlesque, Alabama’s only Burlesque and Vaudeville Theater Troupe. Troupe leader Mama Dixie will step into the role of auctioneer during the live auction. The featured item is an art car, painted and designed by 35 contributing artists.

“The art car was donated to Kentuck, and folk artists from all over painted their unique styles onto the car,” said Emily Pickert, a Kentuck intern majoring in arts management at the University. “The end result embodies folk artists and their crafts as well as the festival’s power to bring incredibly talented people from all over together for one weekend in the name of art.”

Another item featured in the live auction is Sam “The Dot Man” McMillan’s hand-crafted rocking chair. The event will also offer a silent auction, featuring a variety of items from clay work and furniture to 2D artwork and paintings. All items have been donated by both local artists and artists across the globe in support of Kentuck’s year-round programming and upcoming 46th art festival.

“This is a great chance to purchase something that you really can’t get anywhere else,” said Exa Skinner, Kentuck’s program manager. “We’re doing more than ever with year-round programming, and we’re also offering more and more to the community for free, so to do that we hope to make most of the money that pays for it all this weekend.”

Through working with many local and nationwide artists, Kentuck wants to raise awareness for local artists and artwork more than anything. To accomplish this goal, they’ll provide QR codes for buyers to learn about the artists on their websites. Kentuck will also provide brief bios of the artists with each piece.

“One of the things that’s really important to Kentuck is our mission to perpetuate the arts, engage the community and empower the artists,” Skinner said. “When we can provide this personal story for the artists and give that to someone who has fallen in love with their art, it creates the connection that makes the buyer feel special while the artist can get his or her name and story out there.”

All ages are welcome to attend and enjoy an elaborate spread of artwork donated from various artists throughout the community and nation. The event will take place at 503 Main Ave in Northport. Tickets may be purchased for $15 in advance at kentuck.org or $20 at the door.

“Local art is reflective of community culture,” said Ellie Williamson, a sophomore majoring in psychology. “It shows the diversity of our town and how so many talents can come out of the very place we live.”