The 2017-2018 SGA Executive Council inaugurated

The 2017-2018 SGA Executive Council, including SGA President Jared Hunter, were inaugurated in an intimate ceremony held at the historical Gorgas House balcony on Tuesday evening.

The inauguration ceremony was short and straightforward, mostly attended by the family and friends of elected council members. After opening remarks, elected council members ascended the Gorgas House steps – most accompanied by their parents – and repeated the SGA Oath of Office while placing one hand on the Bible and the other in the air.

The Executive Council members were sworn into office in the following order: Executive Secretary Stephanie Gaytan, Vice President for Academic Affairs Ross D’Entremont, Vice President for External Affairs Price McGiffert, Vice President for Financial Affairs Charlie Steinmetz, Vice President for Student Affairs Mollie Gillis and SGA President Jared Hunter.

After being inaugurated to the sound of emphatic cheers and whistles, Hunter delivered a speech to those in attendance as well as The University of Alabama student body in general. In his speech, Hunter highlighted his administration’s goals of “putting the action back in SGA,” increasing student participation in student government, and raising funds to ensure that the counseling center can provide the necessary resources to students combating mental health problems.

“Things have got to change,” Hunter said. “…The charge ‘students serving student’ should not be taken likely. SGA has got to begin working to impact every student on campus, regardless if they are interested in the Student Government Association or not.”

Hunter concluded his speech and the inauguration ceremony by saying he is incredibly honored to serve in this position.

“I look forward to impacting the lives of every student on campus in my tenure,” Hunter said. “This year, we will put the action back in SGA, and I hope you’re eager and excited for these upcoming weeks. Once again, thanks for being here today. God bless The University of Alabama and Roll Tide.”

After the ceremony wrapped up, Hunter stated that one of his first actions as SGA president will likely be to issue an executive order rescinding the executive order former SGA President Lillian Roth issued on Monday that changed the way the Board of Governors is selected.

The Board of Governors determines which University of Alabama student organizations are selected for block seating. However, Hunter said that he does not plan on removing the members of the Board of Governors who were recently selected as a result of Roth’s executive order. Instead, Hunter wants to modify the selection process that potential members of the board must go through in the future.