Softball drops two games on the road against Missouri

Jacob Arthur

The Alabama Crimson Tide lost two out of three games in its series on the road against the Missouri Tigers. The Crimson Tide falls to 32-6 on the year, and 8-4 in the SEC. The series is the first one of the year that Alabama has lost.

In the first game, Alabama fell, 2-0, to the Tigers despite outhitting Missouri, 6-4. It was the Crimson Tide’s first loss of the year where it out-hit its opponent. Alabama hit into three inning-ending double plays in the game. Junior second baseman Demi Turner went 2-3 from the leadoff position, as she extended her current hitting streak to 13 games, the best hitting streak of her career. Junior pitcher Alexis Osorio struck out 10 batters for her ninth game this season of at least 10 strikeouts.

Saturday, Alabama rebounded with a 9-3 win that was powered by junior first baseman Peyton Grantham’s offensive explosion. Grantham hit three home runs and accounted for six RBIs. She tied an Alabama single-game record for home runs, becoming the third player in program history to hit three in one game. Alabama was outhit 8-7, but combined its offense with senior pitcher Sydney Littlejohn’s complete-game performance for the win.

The final game of the series, Missouri earned a walk-off win in extra innings with a ninth-inning single to win 4-3. Sophomore Reagan Dykes led the Crimson Tide with a 2-3 day with two RBI, and senior third baseman Marisa Runyon drove in the Tide’s third run. Junior Alexis Osorio took her second straight loss but reached the 200-strikeout mark on the year, notching seven strikeouts.

Next up for the Crimson Tide is a Wednesday night game against Lipscomb in Florence, Ala. First pitch is scheduled for 6 p.m.