Lurleen Wallace Boulevard to undergo construction as early as fall

Lurleen+Wallace+Boulevard+to+undergo+construction+as+early+as+fall

Rebecca Rakowitz

Road work-induced traffic jams are far from over, as the Tuscaloosa News reports that $23.2 million will be put into improving Lurleen Wallace Boulevard, which could begin as early as this fall.

“To me, it’s one of the most exciting projects we’ve had in the city of Tuscaloosa for quite some time,” Mayor Walt Maddox said.

City officials say the project will enhance road conditions, pedestrian safety, street lighting and signals. In addition, parallel parking will be eliminated and turn lanes will be added to the street.

The Alabama Department of Transportation will pay 75 percent of the project’s costs, with the other 25 percent being paid by the city.

Tera Tubbs, executive director of Tuscaloosa’s Department of Infrastructure and Public Services told the Tuscaloosa News that construction will not close the road.

“It won’t be completely shut down at any time,” Tubbs said. “Hopefully we’ll have at least one lane open in each direction at all times.