Creative Campus presents food as art with “A Taste of Alabama” event

Sweet tea, cooked greens, fried catfish and banana pudding are just a few of the southern foods and drinks on nearly every Alabama menu. Sugar and oil aside, the University of Alabama’s Creative Campus looks to turn these sweets and savories into something completely new—a presentation of art.

“A Taste of Alabama” will take place this evening at 7 p.m. in the Ferguson Center Theater and will showcase local southern cuisine through various musical performances, presentations, discussions and tastings. The event will examine both the history and future of food in Alabama in the hopes of providing a new perspective on the many flavors of Tuscaloosa.

“We loved the idea of exploring food both as an art form and as a vital part of our culture, especially in the south,” said Brooke Bailey, a sophomore majoring in public relations and Creative Campus logistics coordinator. “We are so lucky in Alabama to be surrounded by amazing food and history, so we wanted to showcase it in a way none of us have seen before.”

Featuring various speakers and performers such as professors, students and a local farmer, Creative Campus hopes to expand attendees’ general knowledge of food into something with much more artistic depth and meaning.

“Arts are very important to our everyday lives,” Bailey said. “They’re what makes the world interesting; they impact us every single day and it’s how we express ourselves.”

Following the series of presentations, the event will host a reception in the Great Hall showcasing a set of selected dishes and southern food staples. In not only speaking on behalf of local foods but presenting them as well, Creative Campus hopes to educate attendees on the many foods and drinks we consume daily without much thought.

“We’re really pushing to engage the community with this project,” Bailey said. “We want to make people think about where their food is coming from, both historically and literally.”

Creative Campus has opened the event up to all members of the community, whether that be students, faculty or Tuscaloosa residents, in the hopes of providing a new and unique combination of food and art.

“Our Creative Campus interns have come up with a great idea,” said Michelle Bordner, the campus arts coordinator. “They’re showcasing the connections between food and art and how together they contribute to southern culture.”