Forensic teams claims national championship

Amongst the dominating sports teams at The University of Alabama, several less well-known organizations on campus fall under the shadow of football and gymnastics national champions, despite the organizations’ great accomplishments. One such group is the Alabama Forensic Council, which claimed its twenty-first national title over spring break in speech and debate at the Novice National Championship Tournament, held at the University of West Florida.

“The first-year forensics students are one of the most talented groups of any age in our activity nationwide,” said director of forensics Bobby Imbody to UA News. “This accomplishment is basically a coronation of this very talented and hard-working group, a reward for their hard work and dedication to our program.” 

In addition to the national championship won at the tournament, Imbody is also referring to the ten first-year members that competed in 23 of the national elimination rounds, including in areas such as rhetoric analysis, slam poetry and persuasion speaking.

Not taking a moment’s pause, the team of students will be competing next weekend in what is considered to be the toughest national competition, the American Forensic Association’s National Individual Events Tournament, which will be held at Bradley University.