Students vote on campus at Rec Center

Tuesday, the Student Recreation Center was not only used for cardio, or to grab a quick smoothie after a long workout. It was also a place where thousands of students cast their vote in the state election.

People were waiting for the polls to open minutes before 7 a.m., said Jim Patrie, supervisor of the polls.

“The flow of voters has been very constant, which is fairly unusual for this precinct,” he said.

“In a small election during the summer, we don’t have as large of turnout because the students are not here, but during the academic year the students make up 90 to 95 percent of the voting population,” he said.

Patrie said there were not any major problems with voting.

“We had some small, minor problems with mostly the freshmen voters who registered and their information did not make it to the board of registrar’s office,” he said. “Despite that, everything went smoothly.”

Students who voted in the election pointed out the significance in voting in a large election.

“This is a big election, since we are voting for our next state governor, and it is important to vote because every vote counts,” said Amy Galloway, a sophomore majoring in nursing.

“We get to see the impacts first hand since these candidates represent our state,” she said.

Josh Gray, a junior majoring in political science and international studies, said he voted because he feels this is a time where people really need to come out and vote to support the change President Barack Obama is making in politics.

“It is obvious the candidates have support on our campus and therefore have some kind of motive to be effective in our state government,” he said.

P.J. Talley, a senior majoring in accounting, said he voted because he just wanted to be a part of the decision making process.

“I feel it is going to be a tight race, and that the candidates are really focused on listening to voters,” he said.

Jonothan Whatley, a senior majoring in telecommunications and film, said he is choosing to vote because voting is one of the most powerful tools one has as an American citizen.

“After the election in 2008, voting didn’t stop there,” he said. “We have to continue to come out and realize the importance it is to make sure our voice is heard.”