Capstone Coalition announces Roth as preferred candidate for SGA president

The Capstone Coalition has publicly announced support for Lillian Roth for the position of SGA president.

In their statement, Capstone Coalition noted that they held much respect for Gene Fulmer’s independently run campaign. Even though his message of transparency resonated with many members, the Coalition announced that they had more faith in Roth’s ability to fully and adequately represent the student body.

Lillian Roth ran last year with the backing of The Machine, a political organization that represents the interest of select fraternities and sororities. 

This year, in addresses to the Capstone Coalition, Roth admitted to her former ties to The Machine. However maintained that she no longer had ties to the organization.

“We are consistently independent and opposed to the institution of The Machine,” stated the announcement released on the Capstone Coalition website at 5 p.m. today. “However, we as an organization believe that the interests of students outweigh matters of campus politics.”

Per the statement, the Coalition stated that their preference was based in faith that Roth would be more efficacious in office than Fulmer, who formerly enjoyed support of the Coalition in his runs for Senate but chose not to run with their support for president.

“I’m confident she would be even better now this year if she makes it into the office without The Machine,” said Audrey Bolus, chairwoman of the Capstone Coalition and a senior majoring in international relations.

While the announcement did represent the majority opinion of the Coalition, the statement claims that it did not qualify as a full endorsement, as a unanimous decision was unable to be made among the Coalition members.