SGA presidential candidate found guilty of Elections Board violations

The SGA Elections Board has announced that president hopeful Jared Hunter has been found guilty of two major ethical violations and one intermediate violation, per the Elections Board announcement on the University voting webpage.

Hunter, who currently serves as the SGA director of Engagement, was found guilty of using campaign funds to cover a bar tab at Heat Pizza Bar during his campaign kickoff event. In addition, the Elections Board convicted him of perjury for omitting and/or lying during his testimony regarding the incident.

During his kickoff event on Feb. 24, Hunter used campaign funds to cover a $500 bar tab at Heat Pizza Bar in downtown Tuscaloosa. This is considered a major violation by the Elections Board, as it constitutes providing “anything of tangible value…to affect a student’s vote,” said the Elections Board announcement.

The two major infractions have resulted in sanctions demanding Hunter perform 45 hours of community service to be completed before the end of the semester. The intermediate infraction, in which Hunter was found guilty of lying about his intended use of campaign funds, has also resulted in a sanction preventing him from continuing campaign activities until March 6, the day before elections.

In addition, a report of the incident will be sent to the Office of Student Conduct for further review.

Hunter will still be able to attend the presidential candidate debate on March 5, but will only be able to answer questions from the moderator and regulated crowd questions.