Joining the club: Juniors find themselves in a race to score 1,000th point

The University of Alabama women’s basketball team juniors, guard Hannah Cook and forward Ashley Williams, are in a head-to-head race to reach the 1,000 point milestone in their collegiate careers. Cook is currently at 949 points; Williams at 956.

Cook has started every game this season, averaging an estimated 31 minutes of playing and 11.4 points per game. Her biggest strength is 3-pointers. She has made 62 in the 2016-2017 season, the most of anyone on the team. If Cook reaches 1,000 points by the end of the season, she may have a chance by the end of her career at Alabama to beat her high school record. Cook attended Ozark High School in Ozark, Missouri and finished her career there as a leader in points with 1,564 total.

“It would be a great accomplishment to to join the 1,000 point club here,” Cook said. “Honestly though, I just do what I can for the team. Three-pointers are my strength so I try to stick to that and just do my part to help get a win.”

Williams has also started in each game in the 2016-2017 season and plays an average of 22 minutes per game. She scores an average of six points per game. Williams surpassed the 1,000 point mark during high school when she attended Alcovy High School in Covington, Georgia.

“It’s not really about the points for me,” Williams said. “I go out there everyday and play hard just like everybody else, so we’ll see by the end of the season.”

Coach Kristy Curry has a rule in times of victory, both as a team and as an individual, that allows for celebrations until midnight, but then the work starts all over again.

Curry has also made sure her team understands that every award and honor an individual receives is actually a team effort. Without the team and without each other, each individual player would not reach the heights they do or achieve the milestones they aim for.

“I’m extremely proud of everyone on this team,” coach Curry said. “These guys put in a tremendous amount of effort day in and day out and to them I know it’s not about the amount of points they put on the board, but rather the intensity and the effort they bring when they play.”

Whoever reaches the 1,000 point milestone first, whether it be Cook or Williams, will become the 25th member of the Alabama women’s basketball 1,000-point club. Whoever reaches it after will simply be the 26th member, but it will still be an honor.

Cook and Williams will continue on their road to 1,000 points on Monday night at Auburn Arena in Auburn, when the Crimson Tide (16-10, 4-9)  face the Auburn University Tigers (15-12, 5-8) at 6 p.m.