C&IS raises money for American Heart Association

As The University of Alabama works to fundraise for the American Heart Association and its Heart Walk on March 25, the College of Communications and Information Sciences is getting involved by forming its own Heart Walk team and setting a goal of fundraising $1,000.

“The University was supporting it from a big-picture scope, and then the colleges sort of took lead in their own way,” said Litsa Rivers, C&IS director of College Relations.

In addition to the college’s fundraising goal, Rachel Creel, C&IS Program Assistant and Heart Walk team captain, said she wants to get more members on the team to have a good representation of the college at the walk. As for the fundraising, she said it is doing well so far.

“Each of our members of the Heart Walk team are raising our own money and then we also have effort in the college,” she said.

The additional effort stems from the college selling paper hearts in Tisch Student Services for $1 on which people can sign their name. The hearts are going to be hung up throughout Reese Phifer. Also, the student executive council, a student organization within the college, sells C&IS merchandise; such as sweatshirts, T-shirts, water bottles and laptop stickers throughout the year. Ten percent of the sales will go toward the fundraiser.

The deadline of fundraising is the day of the Heart Walk. Creel encourages people to visit the American Heart Association to learn more about the organization and the Heart Walk. C&IS’ team also has its own extension of the website for each member’s fundraising.

“We’re not just walking.” the page reads. “We’re Heartwalking. Our participation in Heart Walk promotes fun ways to be physically active and make healthier choices every day. Imagine the impact if we reduce death and disability from cardiovascular diseases and stroke by 20 percent by 2020. Please help us reach this lifesaving goal by joining our team today. Together, we can make healthier, longer lives possible for everyone.”

As of right now, the University of Alabama has 12 different teams with 184 participants made up of different colleges, departments and organizations. The University’s goal is to raise $25,000 for the American Heart Association. 

The Tuscaloosa Heart Walk is a 5K beginning at the Tuscaloosa Amphitheater. To join a team through the University or donate to one, visit here.