President Trump had a successful first 100 minutes

President Trump entered the Oval Office on a mission. Everyone talks about the first 100 days in office, 
however he accomplished so much in his first 100 minutes. On the very day of his inauguration, he signed his first executive orders. Always unpredictable, pundits questioned which issues he would 
address first.

On Friday, Jan. 20, 2017 – mere hours after being sworn in – President Trump took meaningful first steps to repeal the Affordable Care Act, more commonly known as “Obamacare.” Obamacare was a broad-based healthcare plan. With the exception of the choice of a few levels of coverage, there was no opportunity for customization. In many instances, women discovered they were paying for plans that provided for prostate care, and men found themselves covered for issues 
specifically for women’s health. Although the desire to provide coverage for every citizen was well-intended, this plan proved to be terribly flawed. In fact, members of Congress who passed this law also 
provided for their own exemption from being required to sign up.

The very idea that members of Congress would impose the plan on their constituents while designing a means for avoiding it for themselves should have been a red flag. President Obama himself promised the American people that the plan would allow members to continue care with their 
trusted physicians. However, once 
implemented, it became clear that would not be the case at all. In order to qualify, most found it necessary to seek out new doctors. If they insisted on remaining in the familiar care of their original physician, people were forced to pay out of pocket.

Though designed as a means of insuring a small percentage of Americans unable to afford health insurance, “Obamacare” wound up harming a much larger 
portion of Americans as the middle class found itself inadequately covered. This was the result of deliberately misleading 
propaganda by the Obama administration that suggested some of the more expensive medical procedures and tests would cost the consumer little or nothing. Opponents of the plan tried – without success – to appeal to the people with common sense. After all, someone must pick up the tab for all of the promised benefits. Taxes had to be raised in order to make up for the 
difference. Further government regulations meant that most healthcare plans did not meet the guidelines of the Affordable Care Act’s “Ten Essential Health 
Benefits.” Therefore, many of these healthcare companies went out of business.

This brings us to another potentially game-changing executive order issued by President Trump. The president has called for revisions to the Federal Housing Administration. This program 
grants loans to people meeting a 
specific financial requirement. It requires that those wishing to take out a loan have a reputable financial record and the ability to repay the loan according to terms. In his last days in office, former 
President Obama enacted an order 
permitting more people to qualify for loans, which could further weaken the 
U.S. economy. A higher-risk borrower may be incapable of meeting the terms – or of repaying the loan altogether. The more people who take out a loan, the less money the government has to offer. This creates an exhaustive drain on our 
economy, and it is a big part of the 
reason that the national debt is so high. From a purely business perspective, President Trump believes that reducing 
government handouts will be an 
important first step in strengthening 
the economy.

The president’s next order of 
business was to limit “burdensome 
regulations” on energy industries. Chief of Staff Reince Priebus echoed President Trump’s demand for an “immediate halt to the publication of any new regulations.” President Trump’s energy policy is pro-environment. This order removes the power to impose governmental regulations 
from the Energy Department. As a result, products such as portable air conditioners and commercial boilers will soon be more available to the public. President Trump believes his proposed energy policy will “reduce energy use, and – in the process – consumer bills and greenhouse gas emissions.” This policy may be bipartisan, as it is generally agreed that it should be healthy for the environment.

At the end of the day, President Trump signed a waiver which called for General James Mattis to head up the Department of Defense. Republican Sen. John McCain disagrees with most of President Trump’s decisions, however, he respects Gen.James Mattis and applauds this proposed appointment. McCain said, “He [Gen. Mattis] is without a doubt one of the finest military officers of his generation.” President Trump believes Gen. Mattis is a competent leader who will restore pride and strengthen the U.S. Military.

President Trump, through these and many more actions, proved on his first day his commitment to improving the lives of ordinary Americans and restoring 
America’s place in the world. The 
following 99 days should be just as fruitful.

Samantha Fisher is a freshman majoring in political science and journalism.