PREVIEW: Culverhouse Investment Management Group to host financial seminar

The Culverhouse Investment Management Group (CIMG) will present a seminar entitled “Introduction to Accounting” on Monday in an effort to spread their knowledge of accounting to the student body at large. 

“Students should expect to walk out of there with a very solid foundation with using different accounting tools to make better financial decisions,” said Mark Guffin, a junior majoring in finance. “…They should just walk out of there more comfortable. I know accounting’s kind of scary to a lot of folks, but they should really walk out with [a simplified and better understanding].”

WHAT: “Introduction to Accounting” seminar, one in a series of seminars offered throughout the year. 

WHO: The event is put on by the Culverhouse Investment Management Group, a student-run investment fund managed by select students at the University of Alabama with oversight from an investment consultant and faculty advisors.

WHEN: Monday, Feb. 13 at 8 p.m.

WHERE: Alston Hall, Room 10.

WHY: “The seminar experiences were started three years ago by former president Matt Lambert,” said Ryan Pellegrino, a junior majoring in math and mechanical engineering. “He realized that … there are probably more people on campus who want to learn about this, and even if we don’t necessarily have the resources needed to expand our group, we should try to share this kind of expertise that we’ve been able to gain.”

Pellegrino emphasized that the seminars are meant to expand the knowledge of the student body.

“By no means do we think we’re like, these experts in the field, but we’ve had a good amount of experience, so we want to spread that knowledge as well as we can to benefit the students of the University,” he said.

Guffin also emphasizes the value of the seminar for students in disciplines outside of business and economics.

“[The seminars] will help broaden their horizons a little bit,” he said.