Softball defeats Towson, Youngstown State in doubleheader

The Alabama Crimson Tide followed up a two-win opening day performance with two more wins to improve to 4-0 on the season Saturday. Alabama earned a comeback win against Towson, 4-2, to start the day before defeating Youngstown State, 7-0.

Alabama beat Towson 17-0 in its first game of the season on Friday, but faced a stiffer challenge in its second game against the Tigers. The Crimson Tide fell into an early hole against Towson, trailing 2-1 in the third inning. Freshman center fielder Elissa Brown and junior first baseman Peyton Grantham each had two hits to help the Crimson Tide come back, with two runs coming in the top of the fifth. Freshman Madi Moore got the start, and junior Alexis Osorio earned the win with 4.2 perfect innings. Osorio has pitched 11.2 perfect innings and struck out 25 batters so far this season.

In the second game, senior Sydney Littlejohn delivered a complete-game shutout with ten strikeouts and just one hit allowed as the Crimson Tide won 7-0. Grantham, sophomore outfielder Merris Schroder and freshman infielder Claire Jenkins paced the team with two hits each. The Crimson Tide got out to an early start, putting two on the board in the first two innings and scoring four more runs in the third inning. The seventh run came across on an RBI groundout in the fourth.

Alabama concludes its time at the Kickin’ Chicken Classic on Sunday with a game against tournament host Coastal Carolina at 11:30 a.m. CT.