Cam Newton handlers allegedly solicited money for commitment

Jim Burgess

ESPN reported Thursday that John Bond, a former Mississippi State quarterback, said one of his former teammates with the Bulldogs solicited a six-figure payment for quarterback Cam Newton’s commitment before this season.

Bond told ESPN that the former teammate, who said he was representing Newton during his recruitment, told him other schools had already offered $200,000, but since Newton really liked Mississippi State and had a relationship with head coach Dan Mullen dating to when both were at Florida, Mississippi State could get him for $180,000.

Sources told ESPN.com that the former player Bond referred to is Kenny Rogers, who is currently under investigation by the NFL Players Association due to his possible involvement in contacting college players for agent Ian Greengross.

“If Rogers tried to solicit money from Mississippi State, he did it on his own, without our knowledge,” Cecil Newton, Cam’s father, told ESPN.

Bond said an NCAA investigator came to Mississippi to meet with him and Mississippi State officials in early September. SEC associate commissioner Greg Sankey, who oversees conference compliance, said the league received “specific information” regarding the Newton allegation in late July of this year.

“We have been made aware of the allegation. Unfortunately, we cannot comment at this time,” Auburn assistant athletic director for media relations Kirk Sampson told ESPN. “However, Cam Newton is eligible to play football at Auburn.”

Multiple media reports have said Cam Newton preferred Mississippi State over Auburn, but that his father wanted him to go to Auburn. According to a Sports Illustrated article last week, Cam Newton left the decision to his father.

Cam Newton transferred to Auburn from Blinn College in Brenham, Texas. He left Florida after his freshman season.