Discussing gay marriage fine; don’t use the Bible to prove it

A letter to the editor was written last week by Caitlin Cartwright discussing legalizing gay marriage in Alabama. I agree with her that gay marriage is a topic that should be discussed and be openly decided upon by the people of Alabama, and when talking about its social implications and things of that nature, one might have a case; however, if you are going to argue for gay marriage you really have no defense if you use the Bible.

Caitlin defends her claim by quoting Matthew 7:1 “Do not judge, or you too will be judged.” I agree that a person should not judge based upon his or her own views, but we let the Bible judge people and have a duty to warn them about the Bible’s position on certain topics. There are far too many verses condemning homosexuality and the acceptance of homosexuality to say that God accepts it. To give a couple of examples: 1 Corinthians 9b-10 “Neither the sexually immoral nor idolators nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders… will inherit the kingdom of God.” or Romans 1:26-27 “Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.”

So I understand the need to have an open conversation about this topic, but you cannot call homosexuality natural and then use the Bible to prove it.

Jeremy Hamilton is a sophomore majoring in Latin.