“GTFO” film screening to tackle gender issues in gamer culture

Video games can be a form of escapism for many, allowing anyone to pick up a controller and go on an adventure. But for some women in the gaming community, it can be a rough place to be.

The University of Alabama’s English Department will screen “GTFO,” a documentary focusing on gender issues within the video gaming community on Nov. 2. The film compiles clips from various events in gaming history as well as interviews with journalists, game developers and gamers in an attempt to give its audience a look into the rise of sexism within the community.

“It starts with the 2012 incident in the Cross Assault competition and a female gamer was sexually harassed on camera during the fighting game by one of her teammates, her team coach, and that’s where sort of the issue of sexual harassment in the games community comes to the public interest,” said Cindy Tekobbe, an assistant professor in the English department.

From that incident, the film takes a look at other women in the community who have received the same treatment, such as Anita Sarkeesian, who got death threats and threats of sexual violence after starting an online show known as Feminist Frequency. The film also includes interviews from male gamers who witnessed the incident at Cross Assault.

“I think it’s a pretty balanced look,” Tekobbe said. “…What I think the movie tries to do fairly is that it interviews various voices but doesn’t critique its responses.”

The film will be screened on Nov. 2 at 7 p.m. in Gorgas 205. The event is free to everyone, and will conclude with a panel to answer questions on gender issues and the cultural impact that games have within a larger community.

“We welcome all gamers, all undergrads and graduate staff, anyone that wants to come out,” Tekobbe said.