Music Column: Tame Impala's essential tracks

On July 29, 2016, John Mayer posted an Instagram of an album cover. The caption read, “This is the best record of the past two or three years. Proven many times over in my head. Think Radiohead 1996. Coldplay 2003. Phoenix 2008. Melody heaven.” The record that Mayer references is “Currents” by Tame Impala. “Currents” is the Australian psychedelic rock band’s third album. The second being “Lonerism” featuring well-known songs such as “Elephant” and “Feels Like We Only Go Backwards.” Released in 2015, “Currents” is an album that needs to be listened to all the way through with the volume on high. Each track blends into the next, but allows the listener a glimpse into lead singer Kevin Parker’s continuous feelings of loneliness and unhappiness with himself. Here are the essential tracks of “Currents.”

“Eventually”: The refrain, “But I know that I’ll be happier / and I know you will, too / Eventually,” is the epitome of the track. Parker sings about the impending end to his relationship. He expresses the sadness he feels about putting his partner in pain, but he knows that their relationship is ultimately fruitless and unhealthy. “Eventually” was the fourth single released from “Currents.” The strong synth in the background of the track propels the lyrics forward.

“The Less I Know The Better”: Parker is singing this song to his ex-girlfriend after he sees her with another man. He explains that he wishes he had never seen their interaction because now all he can see is this image and it is tormenting him. It suddenly makes him miss their relationship. The music video for the track depicts a high school basketball player losing his girlfriend to the team’s gorilla mascot. Parker once said that this track was inspired by his love for disco music and this inspiration is prevalent in the instrumental sections.

“Disciples”: This track is only one minute and 49 seconds, but it is full of music. During the first 46 seconds, Parker’s voice is muddled and he is looking back on a past relationship and then, the song changes. Parker’s voice becomes clearer and he realizes that he has changed and the girl that he used to like has changed. He becomes more confident once he realizes that he does not want to think back on the past anymore.

“New Person, Same Old Mistakes”: Rihanna released the album “Anti” in 2016 and she covers this Tame Impala song. Rihanna’s track, “Same Ol’ Mistakes,” is exactly the same as the Tame Impala song besides the title. Rihanna asked the band if she could do something with the song and they agreed, but they never heard the song until the album was released. This track ends “Currents” and expresses Parker’s final thoughts about the past and future. He explains that despite changing who he is, he will continue to make the same mistakes and there is nothing he can do to fix it. The bridge of the song further delves into Parker’s belief that everyone goes through these struggles when he sings “But you’ve got your demons, and she’s got her regrets.”