Jonathan Allen joins teammates as Maxwell, Bednarik semifinalists

On Monday afternoon, defensive lineman Jonathan Allen and quarterback Jalen Hurts were announced as semifinalists for the Maxwell Trophy, which is an award given to the nation’s best player. Eighteen players made the cut, and Alabama joined Oklahoma as the only schools to be represented by two guys.

Allen was also announced as a semifinalist for the Bednarik Award along with linebacker Reuben Foster. This list of 18 players was dominated by a few schools as Alabama, Clemson and LSU all placed two guys on the list.

Allen’s season has already managed to fill highlight reels that would include his Superman sack against Texas A&M quarterback Trevor Knight and two fumbles recovered for touchdowns. He has also recorded a team-high 10 quarterback hurries and has actually sacked the quarterback 6.5 times for a loss of 53 yards.

Hurts has also exceeded expectations early on. The freshman quarterback has completed 63 percent of his passes for a total of 1,578 yards and 12 touchdowns and only five interceptions. He’s also carried the ball a team-high 95 times for 618 rushing yards and nine rushing touchdowns.

Foster, the team’s leader on defense, currently leads the Crimson Tide with 53 tackles. He has also recorded 1.5 sacks and 4.5 total tackles for loss.

Finalists for both awards will be announced on Nov. 21. If any of the four move on they will have to wait until Dec. 8 when the winner is revealed on ESPN.