First Year Council discusses FYC forums for community housing during latest meeting

First year Council met Tuesday night and discussed a single piece of legislation. This legislation focused on “encouraging FYC housing community forums” according to the resolution’s title.

FYC discussed the housing community forums resolution after brief remarks from the Student Government Association’s Executive Secretary Claire Parker about office hours, and after the only other piece of legislation on the docket was removed at the author’s request. 

Mason Lake, a freshman majoring in mechanical engineering, is one of the resolution’s authors. Lake said he thinks the resolution will be a good way to reach out to freshman in the various dormitories on campus

“We thought that there was a real disconnect between the freshman class and First Year Council,” he said. “So, we thought it was appropriate since we are representing our dormitories, that’s how we were selected, to really reach out to our dormitories by which dormitory we’re in.”

The resolution encourages councilors to hold a monthly forum in their respective housing communities to address some of the comments and concerns of students. 

In addition, the resolution encourages councilors to make suggestion boxes and place notifications of FYC forum meetings to hallways, doors and elevators, if the councilor’s resident advisor sees fit. 

The resolution must first be discussed by the Student Affairs Committee before it can be voted on.