Hands on Tuscaloosa to provide opportunity for volunteer service

Jeffrey Bryant Hanson

The Center for Service and Leadership’s Hands on Tuscaloosa event will give UA students an opportunity to engage the Tuscaloosa and Northport communities through volunteer service this Saturday, Oct. 15.

WHO: More than 300 students from UA clubs and organizations, such as Freshman Forum and UA Dance Marathon.

While Hands on Tuscaloosa is an event designated for certain organizations, the Center for Service and Leadership may offer other students a chance to participate if slots become available. In this case, the group will notify people of availabilities through their social media accounts.

WHAT: Students at Hands on Tuscaloosa will participate in varying forms of community service, including trail maintenance at the UA Arboretum and can sorting at the West Alabama Food Bank.

WHEN: Saturday, Oct. 15, from 8 a.m. – Noon

WHERE: The event will take place at 12 different sites in the Tuscaloosa and Northport communities.

The Center for Service and Leadership hosts service events like Hands on Tuscaloosa to strengthen the bond between the university and the surrounding community.

“Hands on Tuscaloosa has a two-fold impact,” said Phillip Burns, coordinator of Volunteer Management at the Center for Service and Leadership. “For our campus, it helps us build relationships with our neighbors. For our University, it helps build community. Hands on Tuscaloosa really shows people that the University cares.”  

To find out more about Hands on Tuscaloosa, you can visit the Center for Service and Leadership’s website at volunteer.ua.edu.