Pi Beta Phi ends Champions are Readers program

For the third graders at Holt Elementary, the word “car” no longer just means a method of transportation. To them, it now means a way to showcase their progress, through Pi Beta Phi’s Champions are Readers (CAR) program.

CAR is a national program that Pi Beta Phi sorority participates in, and on Friday they held their pep rally to celebrate the accomplishments of the students throughout the program.

Every Thursday and Friday, a member of Pi Beta Phi sorority would go listen to third graders read books they had gotten from the school library that had a set level of difficulty.

“It was more than them just reading to you,” Briana Dunckley, the outgoing philanthropy chair for Pi Beta Phi, said. “When they got to a word they didn’t know they were able to ask ‘What’s that mean?’”

The students were recognized at the end of the CAR program with a certificate of recognition, a new book and a CAR medal.

Students track their reading progress each day they worked with a sorority member on their “reading racetrack” in a workbook.

Dunckley said they continue to work with the students after the program ends.

She said their sorority is very thankful for all the help and support from the teachers and principal at Holt.

“We always work with the third graders, because some studies have shown that it is at third grade when they absorb the most,” she said.

Dunckley worked heavily on this community service project with the incoming philanthropy chair Tatum Denson.

“I was excited to work on this because I knew it would be my first big event to help organize,” Denson said.

Debbie Crawford, principal of Holt Elementary School said she feels CAR is a wonderful program and it really got the students excited about reading.

She said she feels students should enjoy reading because it is a necessary, lifelong skill and they should be able to pick up a book and enjoy it.

Denson said the kids are awesome and really enjoy the program.

“It makes you feel good when you come and you see the children’s faces light up,” she said. “It is so rewarding, I think we get more out of it than they do.”

The teachers and faculty of Holt have been very supportive of the CAR program and it was really great to be able to track the improvement of the students, Denson said.

There are many University programs that go to Holt for various programs that work with the students on reading, mentoring, and other things.

“We value our relationship with the University and believe it is a wonderful working relationship,” Crawford said.

She said prior to the pep really that afternoon, the students were able to enjoy World Friend’s Day where the students were able to rotate from country to country with the international students from the University.

“The relationship really goes both ways with our relationship with the University,” she said. “These students need someone to motivate them and UA students are able to give back to the community.”