Vote for what matters

Close your eyes. close them. You’re home.

Whoever or whatever you envisioned in those brief seconds is what’s at stake next month in the 2016 General Election. When I think of “home,” I imagine my family. A mother who starts her day at 6 a.m. and goes to bed at 11 p.m., six days a week, while her husband drives two hours to work every night to put his youngest child through college, and a sister who won’t go to college because she wants her sibling to be able to finish school. With the election soon approaching, myself and others have a lot of things on the line and people we are thinking about when we are voting.

In the past few months, I’ve heard the phase “it doesn’t matter” given when colleagues about their thoughts on the two nominees for office, Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton, one of which who will become President of the United States. If you have said this, please stop. It matters. Do you recall George W. Bush v. Al Gore in 2000? Every vote counts.

Every time that I’m subjected to these passive words, I’m flabbergasted –– not per se because of whom I speaking with –– but rather their willing ignorance that they’ve cloaked themselves in and responsibilities as a citizen they have fled from by not educating his or herself on either candidate. Such a callous and impetuous answer implies that they have nothing to lose when, in fact, four years of their life, family and everyone’s lives are dependent upon the candidate elected Nov. 8. Martin Luther King, Jr., Mother Teresa, Albert Einstein and Jesus were all individuals, however a single deed from any of their lives changed history and made a difference. They recognized and understood how vital it is to be present and vocal, which we as a country exercise by voting.

As a student at the University, there are plenty of resources/ organizations on campus for those needing information –– democratic and republican –– as well as voter registration provided through Student Government Association and absentee ballots that can be sent through the Ferguson Mail Center. Project Empowerment, Vote Everywhere, Turning Point USA and Students for America First are on campus nonpartisan organizations where we as students can ask questions, have open dialogues and get answers. 

Ignorance is not a chose on the ballot and one that cannot be excused or ignored as students seeking higher education, which demands that we ask questions and be proactive in our job as students.

So, whether you plan to “Make America Great Again” or stand “With Her”, as a voter they both are options and it’s a great privilege to vote when not everyone can. However, choosing to negate your voice by not voting and/or saying “it doesn’t matter” means that you are comfortable being exclusive and forfeiting a significant opportunity to be heard on issues plaguing our country.

Thousands have died and sacrifice tremendously to give everyone –– woman, man, white and black –– the opportunity to vote. On Nov. 8, take nothing for granted and let those efforts before us not be in vain. Pick the candidate that demonstrates reasonable character, keen judgment, and morals that reminds you of “home.”

Arnellle Johnson is a junior majoring in economics. Her column runs biweekly.