Alabama football defeats Kentucky in homecoming game

Here are a few notes and observations from No. 1 Alabama’s 34-6 homecoming victory over Kentucky.

• Injury Report — Wide receiver ArDarius Stewart did not dress out, but fellow receiver Robert Foster and running back Damien Harris did dress out and played. 
  • During the game, defensive lineman Dalvin Tomlinson and tight end O.J. Howard went down with injuries, but both returned to the game.
  • Harris was announced as the starter, but freshman running back Joshua Jacobs actually got the start.
  • Kentucky scored first on a 45-yard field goal.
  • Alabama extended its streak of games scoring non-offensive touchdowns to seven when safety Ronnie Harrison recovered the fumble — caused by linebacker Rashaan Evans — and returned it 55 yards for the score in the second quarter.
  • Alabama coach Nick Saban at halftime: “Well, we didn’t play very well, you know. I mean first series on defense we didn’t play very well, but after that I thought we played pretty well on defense. I think we’ve just been very, very sloppy and inconsistent. We have run the ball effectively, so we need to continue to do that. But we’ve got to do a better job of throwing the ball and create some explosive plays in the passing game.”
  • Total yards: Alabama 69, Kentucky 58
  • Linebacker Tim Williams did not play a snap in the first half after his incident with the police earlier this week. When he entered the game early in the third quarter, he almost recorded a sack on his first play.
  • Wide receiver Calvin Ridley finished with a career-high 11 receptions for a season-high 174 yards and matched his career-high with two touchdown receptions.