Conservatives should consider Evan McMullin

This election year has seemed to many to be a choice between two evils. The Republican and Democratic parties have never been so split before and with Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton as the sponsored candidates, many citizens are finding that their moral compass is directing them away from either of the two. Although historically the Republican and Democratic parties have practically been the only two parties to decide between, there are always “third-party” candidates that try to earn some of the vote. This year you’ll find Jill Stein in the Green Party, Gary Johnson in the Libertarian Party, and all of a sudden Evan McMullin as an independent.

Evan McMullin is being described as an “anti-trump conservative.” He is an ex-CIA Mormon from Utah, who currently serves as the chief policy director of the House Republican Conference. His views might be a little moderate and he might not “tell it like it is” as some appreciate with Donald Trump, but he appears a great alternative for conservatives who cannot gather themselves to vote for Trump but do not seem to agree with Gary Johnson either.

When it comes to the military, McMullin does not believe in using them for political goals but still understands their usefulness when dealing with threats to national security. He also believes that the public school system should try to establish more charter and magnet schools, traditional school alternatives with more accountability. McMullin does not want to build a wall; he believes that rule of law should still be followed with immigration but appreciates the talent and innovation that immigrants can bring. Even this, just a sample of his platform, proves that he is the type of candidate a majority of the United States could get behind.

Although Evan McMullin might seem like a great candidate we, as students and often first-time voters, hear that a vote for a third-party candidate is a vote wasted. The U.S. presidential election is not based on popular vote, rather an electoral college, therefore making voters in some states have votes that “count” for slightly more than other states. So if you are truly worried about your one vote causing the election to swing one way or another, it is unlikely. Although, if lots of people vote a different way, their “one vote” turns into “a lot of votes” and if it still does not influence the election it can definitely influence the candidates.

Voting for Evan McMullin, or any other third-party candidate for that matter, might not change who will inevitably be elected as president. They would need immense amounts of support to have a solid chance to be elected themselves this time around, but the votes each candidate does receive is a statement to the larger parties of what American citizens are really looking for. This November, vote for a person you would want to see in office, not against the person you don’t want to end up there. 

Sarah Howard is a junior majoring in chemistry. Her column runs biweekly.