HIGHLIGHTS: Saban addresses media one last time before Ole Miss

Alabama coach Nick Saban addressed the media Wednesday one last time before the team heads to Oxford, Mississippi, to take on the Ole Miss Rebels. The game is Saturday at 2:30 p.m. in Vaught–Hemingway Stadium.

Highlights from Saban: 

• The Crimson Tide had a better week of practice than it did before Western Kentucky. The players were more focused. When asked about whether or not the team worked to clean up penalties this week, Saban responded, “That’s why we practice. If I didn’t see it, I wouldn’t be saying we had a better week of practice.”
  • With quarterback Chad Kelly, Ole Miss has a good perimeter running team. A lot of its runs have some form of run-pass option (RPO), which Saban said is difficult to defend. 
  • Saban likes that true freshman Jalen Hurts has a good disposition as a quarterback about playing the next play. He’s entering his first true road test with Ole Miss. Saban knows the team is going through a learning curve with him, but it trusts him and supports him, just like it will if redshirt freshman Blake Barnett steps in at quarterback, too. 
  • There are no issues with running back Bo Scarbrough. The coaching staff is going to continue to develop his abilities since Saban believes Scarbrough has a lot of potential. Saban accused the media of putting its own expectations on Scarbrough.
    “I think you all create an expectation to people that there’s no basis for. You do that for a lot of guys,” he said. “It puts a lot of pressure on them, creates a lot of anxiety for them.”
  • Alabama practiced with Ross Pierschbacher and Lester Cotton both at left guard. Alphonse “Shank” Taylor spent time at right guard. Saban is confident in all three players, though.
    “Obviously, Shank and Ross have more experience because they started for a whole season,” he said, “and I think that experience may be beneficial to them in this game, but we have not decided who we’re starting at both positions yet.”
  • There are no new injuries to be reported on the Crimson Tide. 

Videos: 

Wide receiver ArDarius Stewart on Wednesday:

Defensive back Minkah Fitzpatrick on Wednesday: