UA and SGA release statements regarding Rondini story

Both the University of Alabama and its Student Government Association have released separate statements regarding the death of Megan Rondini. A recent Buzzfeed article claimed Rondini was raped by Terry Bunn Jr., the son of a wealthy Tuscaloosa businessman. 

“Like many, I’ve struggled with the recent Buzzfeed article addressing Megan Rondini,” said SGA President Jared Hunter in his statement on the organization’s Facebook page. “Megan’s tragic passing has deeply affected me, along with so many in The University of Alabama community. The outpouring of support we have already seen from groups on campus is incredibly inspiring. As the SGA, we stand alongside you in these efforts. We would like to thank everyone who has supported and continues to support students who have persisted in their efforts to fight sexual assault and the stigma associated with it.”

The story broke over a week ago and has led to Title IX complaints by the Rondini family, and a wrongful death lawsuit against employees of the University.

UA has released multiple statements on the matter, consisting of condolences and promises to act.

“The University remains committed to providing a safe learning environment for all students,” UA’s most recent statement reads. As part of its efforts, and specifically in regard to sexual assault, the University has been working closely with partners throughout the Tuscaloosa community to help raise awareness, prevent and support victims of sexual assault.”

So far, UA has offered no comment on matters pertaining to the lawsuit.

Some UA students are not satisfied with the University’s response and believe the University is underreporting their sexual assault statistics. Robert Pendley, an SGA senator for the Law School, is one of those students.

“Several individuals associated with the UA administration have indicated that The University of Alabama underreports these statistics for ‘fear of it looking bad,'” said Pendley. “Some faculty and administrators have reached out to me and told me the University agrees with Megan’s story but disagrees with the omissions Buzzfeed committed. Why was this not made more clear in the statement made by the University and by SGA President Jared Hunter?”

The statement by Hunter referred to the possibility of reform to improve on the policies already in place. Hunter spoke of the creation of a student task force dedicated to sexual assault and called Rondini’s death a “reinvigorated call to action.” Although some were critical of his statements, with Pendley claiming the current administration cares more about appearances than students, there were those who came to Hunter’s side after the release of his statement.

“I support Jared Hunter’s statement and will do anything that I can personally to strengthen safety on this campus,” said Price McGiffert, SGA Director of External Affairs. “My ultimate goal is to work with The University of Alabama, city of Tuscaloosa and the state of Alabama to see positive change come from a tragic situation.”

McGiffert promised that he would be working to expand the Lobby Board to include a team that focuses solely on sexual assault victims. He also said that his entire cabinet would be working with the student task force to improve state laws and he will be assisting in establishing a fund to contribute more resources towards organizations that assist in sexual assaults such as the Women and Gender Resource Center.