Where to chill when it’s hot outside

Some days it’s just too hot to stay outside for long, but if you still want to get out of the house and hang out with your friends, there are plenty of things to do here and in Birmingham. Here’s four things you and your friends can do when the temperature gets too high. 

Breakout Tuscaloosa
Are you good at solving puzzles quickly? At Breakout Tuscaloosa, players are locked in a room have one hour to solve a series a clues in order to escape. You can solve the murder of a homeowner in their “Who Done It?” room, explore a haunted hotel you’re looking to buy in the “Horror Hotel” room or try to escape a runaway train in the “DeRailed” room. Each breakout experience is $22 per player and must be booked online at their website breakouttuscaloosa.com. They also offer an around-town scavenger hunt and laser tag which costs $10 a person for 10 minutes. 

Location: 3711 Resource Drive, Tuscaloosa, Alabama 35401

Paul W. Bryant Museum
If you’re looking for someplace quieter to go, the Paul W. Bryant Museum on campus can take you through the history of football at The University of Alabama. With a timeline of the Crimson Tide’s history since the first team in 1892, a replica of Coach Bryant’s office and audio clips of famous play commentaries in a replica broadcast booth, the Paul W. Bryant Museum showcases the people and events that shaped Alabama football. Admission to the museum is only $2 for adults and it’s open 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. every day.

Location: 300 Paul W. Bryant Drive, Tuscaloosa, Alabama 35487

Splash Adventure
If you’re willing to drive a little bit, a day trip to Bessemer and Alabama Splash Adventure might help cool you off. They’ve got your typical water park fare like an inner tube floating river, a 50-foot water slide and a wave beach. However, they’ve also got the Wipeout Adventure Course, a 360-degree obstacle course controlled by the players along with other non-water based rides like a roller coaster, the Drop Zone, which lifts riders 30 feet into the air before dropping them, and their own version of the teacup ride from Disneyland. They even offer free parking, free Wi-Fi, free unlimited soft drinks and free sunscreen so you don’t need to worry about getting dehydrated or burned. 

The park is open every day this month and the first week of August, though their hours vary by day. You can find each day’s specific hours at the park’s website, alabamasplash.com. Admission for adults is $29.95.

Location: 4599 Splash Adventure Parkway, Bessemer, Alabama 35022

McWane Science Center 

A little further drive away is the McWane Science Center in Birmingham. A four level, interactive science museum, the McWane center has various exhibits across all branches of science including a shark and ray tank where visitors can pet the animals and several hands-on displays where visitors can test different scientific principles like a bed of nails. The center also has rotating featured exhibits including their current one, “Design Zone” which showcases the process behind designing video games, roller coasters and other creative endeavors. There’s also an IMAX theater on sight where you can catch scientific films on the big screen.

Admission to the center only is $13 for adults. IMAX only is $9 and and a combination ticket is $18. McWane Science Center is open on weekdays 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Sundays noon to 6 p.m. Parking onsite is $5. 

Location: 200 19th Street North, Birmingham, Alabama 35203