Kudzu Coalition holds fundraiser and talk on social issues

The Kudzu Coalition of West Alabama and the 10-4 Corporation hosted a dinner at Jason’s Deli last night to discuss topics such as education reform and race relations.

La-Kisha Emmanuel, a Stillman graduate and the Youth Chair of the Tuscaloosa Democratic Committee, talked about the importance of education and how misinformation can lead people to act against their own interests.

“I feel as though education is so important right now, especially in politics,” said Emmanuel. “A lot of people have a lot of ‘fake facts’ that they like to use on both sides. So, I feel as though that caused a lot of confusion with a lot of people voting for the wrong thing and even voting against their best interests.”

Emmanuel also said that people need to educate themselves on issues that may not directly effect them and engage with people of different races, sexes and social classes, saying that people need to be able to “start a conversation” about the important topics of today’s political atmosphere.

Those at the event were eager to discuss what they viewed as important. Those in attendance believe that events such as these that attempt to spark reform are important for everyone’s voices to be heard.

Mary Lauda Corwin, a graduate of The University of Alabama and member of the Kudzu Coalition of West Alabama, said that discussion of equality, regardless of outside variables, can help to unite communities like Tuscaloosa.

“I think that we all need to be on a level playing field so we all have a fair opportunity,” Corwin said. “Equality is not only about making sure people get equal opportunity but also equal starting points. Take everybody’s background into account and realize that the same solutions won’t work for everyone.”

Ariel Jones is also a member of the Kudzu Coalition of West Alabama and an incoming freshman at The University of Alabama and she believes it is important for people to not just focus on the issues and politics they oppose but to also find things that they can actively support.

“We all know something that we’re against but I think that it’s important to find something that you’re for,” Jones said. “So I try to focus more on the things that I support like education or equity, equal rights for everyone. A lot of those things are really complex and I’m trying to figure out how I can move that into my everyday life and how I can put my feet on the ground to make a difference in those areas.”

Katie Wallis-Davis, a retired revenue officer for the Internal Revenue Service, said that there is division between races and among races that needs to be addressed by all communities in order to bring people together. 

“I think racism is alive and well still in the hearts of some people today,” Wallace-Davis said. “We are against our sisters and brothers of color and some people without color. I’m an American of color.”

Davis also talked about her marriage to Robert Davis, a pastor, and the struggles that they have faced as an interracial couple and how they work to spread a message of love and unity through their ministry.

People interested in learning more about the Kudzu Coalition of West Alabama or the 10-4 Corporation can go to their Facebook pages and see their schedule of future events.