UA doctoral student to receive national fellowship

University of Alabama student Cameryn Blackmore, who is on campus pursuing her PhD in political science, has been named the recipient of a national fellowship award from the American Political Science Association. Blackmore is one of 23 students nationwide who will be receiving the honor of membership in the APSA Minority Fellows Program.

The Minority Fellows Program was established in 1969 in an effort to assist minority students who come from underrepresented areas. The money received from the spring fellowships range from $500 to $1000.

Blackmore and other honorees now have an opportunity to gain connections from the fellowship program and advance their research thanks to help from the monetary rewards.

Blackmore received her bachelor’s degree in political science from Southeastern Louisiana University in 2010 and a master’s degree in pubic administration from Southern University before coming to Alabama in pursuit of her political science doctorate. She has an interest in the policy-making process and in helping disadvantaged youth, which she has been involved with since before her pursuit of a doctorate. She also assists with the implementation of education policies in Alabama counties that are historically African-American.

Blackmore’s research focuses on education policy for the grade school level and the role the judicial system plays in developing this policy. Her fellowship will begin the spring cycle. She will be joined by students from universities all over the nation, including Auburn University, the University of Chicago, George Washington University, UCLA and Princeton.