Board of Trustees approves recent hirings, contract extensions

In a Friday morning conference call, the Compensation Committee of the Board of Trustees of The University of Alabama approved the employment of two recent university system hires, and approved employment contracts for UA Athletics.

The first employee to be approved was Pamela Benoit, who will become Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost at the University of Alabama Birmingham.

Benoit’s approval was followed by that of G. Christine Taylor, who will become Vice President and Associate Provost for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at the University of Alabama. 

“I’m pleased to recommend Dr. Christine Taylor… [she] has had an outstanding career in diversity and inclusion that includes more than 25 years in higher education,” said UA president Stuart Bell.

Taylor’s employment approval is the culmination of an ongoing chief diversity officer search that began in the fall.

“She served as vice provost for diversity and inclusion and chief diversity officer for six years at Purdue University and during that time she implemented over five programs to support increasing enrollment and potentially recruitment in underrepresented populations for students, but also faculty and staff,” said Bell.

“She also provided critical leadership in the development of a more inclusive campus environment.”

In serving as both a vice president and associate provost, Taylor will have a dual reporting role to president Bell and to UA executive vice president and provost Kevin Whitaker.

Taylor’s appointment was approved unanimously.

UA athletic director Greg Byrne also introduced eight items for the board’s consideration.

“I’m obviously very excited and pleased to be able to ask for approval of employment contracts for the following University of Alabama athletic employees starting with Brad Bohannon as our new head baseball coach,” said Byrne.

All eight athletic employment contracts were approved unanimously.

Bohannon was the only new hire up for approval. His five-year contract will last through June of 2022, and he will receive a base salary of $265,000 according to Byrne.

Below is a list of the other seven contract extensions granted by the Board of Trustees. Each contract extension was approved with an increased salary.

Men’s basketball head coach Avery Johnson: Two year extension, through June of 2023

Men’s basketball assistant coach John Pelphrey: Two year extension, through June of 2019

Gymnastics head coach Dana Duckworth: Two year extension, through June 2021

Men’s golf head coach Jay Seawell: One year extension, through June of 2022

Women’s golf head coach Mic Potter: One year extension, through June of 2022

Swim and dive head coach Dennis Pursley: Two year extension, through June of 2020

Track and field head coach Dan Waters: Two year extension, through June of 2021