Student dies of heart attack during winter break

A University student died Wednesday at her home in Orrville, Ala., after suffering a heart attack, her mother said.

Christie Young, a senior in the College of Arts and Sciences, returned home for the Christmas break Sunday evening. Cathryn Young, 43, said she received an emergency phone call informing her that she needed to get to her daughter about 10 minutes after leaving for work Wednesday.

“[Christie] had collapsed on the porch,” she said. “The neighbors’ son said she’d been having pains.”

Christie Young was taken to Vaughan Regional Hospital in Selma, Ala.

“The doctor told us that they believed she had a heart attack,” Cathryn Young said.

Upon receiving text messages from her daughter complaining of arm pain while she was at school about a month ago, Cathryn Young said she encouraged Christie Young to go to the Student Health Center.

“One of the doctors wanted to do blood work, but I don’t think she ever got it done,” she said. “[Christie] took some Apirin and said she was feeling better.

“She kept her nephew Monday night, and she kept saying ‘I feel tired,” but I thought she was just tired from watching him,” Cathryn Young said. “Tuesday night she said her stomach was hurting … she said she felt better and went to lay down.”

No pains were mentioned Wednesday.

“She was a wonderful daughter,” Cathryn Young said. “She was an intelligent, very open person. She was a really sweet girl and very respectful.”

Funeral arrangements have been set for Sunday, and Christie Young will be buried near her hometown church, about half a mile from her home, her mother said.

Look for more coverage in the Jan. 12 edition of The Crimson White.

?