Hunter signed away FERPA protections

Caroline Japal

In the wake of The Crimson White’s Monday article detailing the resignation of the entire University Elections Board, The CW has been made aware of a campaign document that SGA President Jared Hunter would have had to sign in order to run for office. In this document, Hunter waived his rights under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, which he previously cited as the reason why he couldn’t comment on the Office of Student Conduct’s investigation into his campaign. 

This form has to be signed by any student seeking elected SGA office. A portion of the form reads as follows:

“I hereby give my consent to and authorize the Elections Board, Elections Review Board and the University of Alabama, including its Office of Student Conduct, to disclose to the media, including The Crimson White and the general public, with permission to re-disclose all records of any type maintained by the University and containing any personally identifiable information about me concerning or related to my candidacy for SGA office including, without limitation, election information, violation of campaign and other SGA election rules and/or provisions of the University’s Code of Student Conduct, hearing results and sanctions imposed.”

Hunter admits to signing the form, and said the FERPA section must have slipped his mind earlier this week. He said he wants to be transparent, but that he isn’t sure if he is legally allowed to share potentially confidential documents.

“I don’t have anything to hide,” Hunter said. “I just don’t know what the process is of sharing [the OSC’s findings].”

Hunter said he and the administration are currently looking into the legality of the form to see if it means he signed away his FERPA rights indefinitely, or just for the campaign process. 

Keeli Mallory, a May graduate from the University, served as the chair of the Elections Board this past year. While speaking on behalf of the Board, she said the Board is aware of the form but it was forgotten about. 

“We knew about [the form] and it was something that had been discussed in March during the campaign season and everything,” Mallory said. “In discussing whether we should send [Hunter’s case] to the OSC, that was brought up and it was definitely on our radar and then I think with everything that happened it took like a back burner.”

Mallory also said it is unfortunate that the board did not rediscover the form until after their statement discussing their resignation. She said that because of the board’s resignation, the group has relinquished their right to discuss Hunter’s OSC investigation.

Previously, the University said the OSC ruled on Hunter’s case over the summer, but that the matter must remain confidential. 

Todd Borst, executive director of the OSC, said his office is aware of the document that would have waived Hunter’s FERPA rights.

“We’re aware [of the document] but will not comment on it,” Borst said.

Once Hunter has a better understanding of the legality of the actions, he emphasized that he hopes to be able to comment further on the situation. 

“I’m happy to release what I need to,” Hunter said. “But it’s not because a group of students forced me into this. It’s because I’m trying to act as a respectful and responsible SGA president and not as anyone who has something to hide. Because I don’t.”