Community forum to focus on sexual assault on campuses

Six speakers will be panelists in a community forum about responses to rape and sexual assault on campus. They will be presenting issues from a criminal justice perspective. It aims to look at all aspects of the given issue in order to impact society at large.

“In a nutshell, what we’re really trying to do is show students and members of the community that these issues are very multifaceted,” said Ariane Prohaska, associate professor in the department of criminology and criminal Justice. “A lot of different entities have to coordinate in order to solve these problems around this horrible crime that we still are dealing with in our society and college campuses across the United States.”  

Who: UA Department of Criminology and Criminal Justice is hosting the forum, which is open to the public.

What: Community forum titled “Sexual Assault on Campus: Perspectives from the Police and University Community”

When: Thursday, Sept. 14 from 7-8:30 p.m. 

Where: Room 159 Russell Hall

Why: Although it is not a new issue, Prohaska said sexual assault has been brought to attention by media covering high profile cases that have elicited many questions and affected people locally. 

She said it is important to discuss this issue in order to work together to solve problems with the campus community. 

“As a college community, we’re trying to make sure that our students feel safe, not only in their everyday campus lives, but if something were to happen to them, that they feel comfortable coming forward and that they know how to do that,” she said.