Women’s golf places second in Mason Rudolph Championship

Crimson Tide Photos/UA Athletics

Buoyed by junior Lauren Stephenson’s historic day, the Alabama Crimson Tide finished second over the weekend in the Mason Rudolph Championship at Vanderbilt Legends Club North Course. Stephenson finished tied for first in the tournament to lead the way for the Crimson Tide.

Stephenson ended her Sunday round with five straight birdies to finish a 16-under par 200 in the tournament, setting a new school record for lowest final score and score vs. par. Junior Cheyenne Knight set the previous record of 14-under 202 in the same tournament last year. Stephenson’s 8-under par 64 was the second-lowest single round in Alabama women’s golf history, surpassed only by senior Lakareber Abe’s 63 in the final round of last year’s tournament. Stephenson shot 4-under 68 in each of her first two rounds.

“Lauren had a great summer and played great in qualifying leading up to this weekend,” Alabama coach Mic Potter said in a press release. “I expected her to play well but to birdie the last five holes knowing what was at stake was quite impressive.”

Alabama shot 35-under as a team to finish six strokes behind tournament champion Arkansas, whose 41-under performance bested the previous tournament record of 39-under, set last year by the Crimson Tide. Despite coming in second, Alabama’s final total and score vs. par are the second-lowest in program history, following last year’s Mason Rudolph Championship.

Three Alabama players finished tied for eighth with a 6-under total. Knight, Abe and sophomore Kristen Gillman all shot 210 on the weekend. Knight recovered from a 2-over first round to shoot back to back 4-under rounds. Abe was at an even par after the first round, then shot a 5-under 67 in the second round. She was 1-under on Sunday to finish at 6-under. Gillman was 5-under after her first two rounds, and shot a 1-under final round to finish tied with her teammates.

Freshman Angelica Moresco shot a 5-over 77 in her debut round, but closed the tournament with back to back 2-under par rounds to tie for 37th at 1-over par in her first collegiate tournament. Alabama was at or below par in 13 of its 15 rounds, and placed seven rounds in the 60s in its first tournament of the season.

Next up for the Crimson Tide is the University of Oklahoma’s Schooner Fall Classic, which will take place Sept. 23-25.