Women’s tennis closes out Rice Invitational

Amelia B. BartonKent Gidley

The Alabama Crimson Tide women’s tennis team closed out its weekend Sunday in the Rice Invitational at the George R. Brown Tennis Center in Houston, Texas with a pair of players winning their competition flights. Sophomore Jacqueline Pelletier won 6-7 (5), 6-4, 6-2 for the Flight 4 title in her first tournament with Alabama after transferring from St. Mary’s. Senior Smith Hinton rallied in her final match to win 2-6, 6-3, 6-0 and win the Flight 3 title.

Junior No. 37 Andie Daniell won in straight sets 6-4, 6-1 over No. 45 Lindsey Hodge of Rice to finish out her weekend and give the Crimson Tide a 3-3 record on Sunday in singles play. Alabama finished the tournament 12-6 in singles play.

The Crimson Tide started off strong on Friday, going 6-0 in singles. Daniell, Pelletier and Hinton won in straight sets, and sophomore Luca Fabian won in straight sets with tiebreaker wins in both sets. Sophomore Kimberley Gintrand won 6-4, 2-6, 6-3, and freshman Kylie Moulin won her Alabama debut 6-3, 7-5. Alabama went 1-2 in doubles play to open the tournament, with Pelletier and freshman Kylie Moulin winning 6-3 for the Crimson Tide’s only doubles point of the day.

On day two, Alabama had Pelletier, Moulin, and Hinton each win their second matches. Moulin and Hinton won in straight sets for the second day in a row, and Pelletier rallied to take a 4-6, 6-2, 6-4 victory. In doubles, Hinton and Gintrand won 6-2 before falling in the final round. Daniell and Fabian won 6-0 and 6-4 in their two matches.

Daniell will play in the ITA All-American Championship beginning Sep. 30, and the Crimson Tide as a team will return to play Oct. 19 in Auburn, Ala. For the ITA Southern Regional Championships.