Churches, community unite with students to collect funds for local crises

Seventy-two years ago, churches throughout the Tuscaloosa area combined their efforts to develop and fund an organization serving community members who couldn’t receive aid from local social service agencies. Today, this organization, known as Temporary Emergency Services (TES), is uniting with UA students to collect donations in this season of giving. 

The campaign effort titled “TES: Helping You Help Others” was developed by students in Dr. Eyun-Jung Ki’s 433 public relations campaigns class within UA’s Department of Advertising and Public Relations.

Collection bins have been placed throughout campus to collect items like clothes, food and furniture – all directed toward those dealing with crises. Bins can be found in locations like the Ferguson Student Center and various sorority and fraternity houses. 

Just as Tuscaloosa experienced the unpredictable nature and crisis of severe weather after the April 27, 2011 tornadoes, donations will also be closeted in the case of an unforeseen crisis situation. Temporary Emergency Services relies on a network of donors like United Way, ensuring donations are swiftly forwarded on to those in need. 

The collection will end after this Friday, Nov. 10. If any student or community member cannot reach the bins throughout campus, they are encouraged to call 205-758-5535 for a free pick-up.