Best local stores for affordable holiday shopping

unknown

With three weeks remaining in the semester, Secret Santa parties and friend group gift exchanges are sure to be a plenty. With all that shopping to do, your holiday receipts could start to pile up. Thankfully, Tuscaloosa boasts a wealth of affordable shopping spots. A quaint bookshop, a variety store and a local market make our list of best places to buy gifts that won’t break the bank. 

Skyland Antique Mall

One of Tuscaloosa’s antique hot spots, the Skyland Antique Mall is home to an assortment of vintage tea sets, vases, baskets and rocking chairs perfect for any “bama Mom.” Sort through the mall long enough, and you might just find a charmingly rusty .5 Coca-Cola advertisement fit for your dad’s garage or man cave. 

The Book Rack

If a brand-new novel from Barnes & Noble isn’t on your list, head to this Tuscaloosa gem for a stack of gently-used mystery novels for much less than the original price. Enjoy the company of the warm owners and maybe even catch a glimpse of their family dog while rummaging through the shelves.  

the makers market

For homemade goods and décor, this locally-owned haven is the go-to spot. Whether it’s a leather wallet or one-of-a-kind jewelry pieces for your friends, you can browse through hundreds of hand-crafted goods. If the craftsman is around, you may even have a story to put with your purchase. 

Lou and Company

For starters, you’ll be welcomed by the owner’s Goldendoodle. Owned and operated by UA alumni, Lou and Company offers an assortment of specialty gifts.

Rhubarb’s Gifts and Home

Head to Northport and explore the community’s display of local goods and services. Rhubarb’s, especially, is a boutique without the pocket-draining prices. Find a custom mug to cuddle up with this holiday season in one of their flannels or sweaters. Shop a rainbow of candles and melts while keeping your eye on a selection of jewelry and nourishing homemade soaps.

Forget-Me-Not Unique Gifts & More

If you still haven’t found something, you won’t be left empty-handed at this family-owned gift shop with a little bit of everything. From Crimson Tide memorabilia to cute accessories for that friend who motivated you through finals, you’ll find something for just about everyone. They’ll even throw in free gift wrapping.