Men’s tennis continues its historic streak

University of Alabama men’s tennis team added to its record breaking season Friday defeating Rice 4-1 in the 70th Blue Gray National Tennis Classic. This victory pushes its record to a perfect 13-0, and extends its best start in program history.

The win also marks the first victory for the Crimson Tide in the opening round of the Blue Gray National Tennis Classic since 2009. Coach George Husack was impressed on how his team battled  a tough Rice team, which was the first outdoor match of the season for Alabama.

“Rice is the defending champion (of Conference USA) and went toe-to-toe with us. They didn’t back down and we responded with great resolve,” Husack said in a press release. “The weather was also hot and humid which could’ve impacted some of our concentration, but the guys did a super job of staying positive and persistent which led to positive results.”

As its done in previous matches, the Crimson Tide won the early point in doubles play. The sophomore duo of Alexey Nesterov and Thibault Cancel sealed the doubles victory for Alabama,  defeating Conrad Russell and Jacob Eskeland, 6-4.

In singles play, sophomore sensation Edison Ortiz remained undefeated, when he defeated Mohammed Abdel-Aziz 6-2, 6-4. Like he did in doubles play, Cancel clinched the victory, defeating Sumit Sakar 7-5, 6-3, in singles play giving the Crimson Tide the 4-1 victory.

Alabama will face Arizona in the second round of competition Saturday morning.