Scales’ campaign team remains united after SGA presidential loss

In the few minutes after the SGA presidential results rolled in, the emotion in the small conference room in Rowand-Johnson Hall went from levity to silence. 

The Scales’ campaign team was shocked when they learned who the winner was. The SGA live-stream video revealed Scales received 23 percent of the votes, Navarro 7 percent and McGiffert 68 percent. 

“I believe in the way we ran our campaign, the way we stood out to students and we connected with students,” Nivory Gordon, a senior majoring in mechanical engineering, said. 

In the aftermath of the announcement, Scales’ campaign team stood by her side, supporting her. 

“I would say I am so proud of Amber and the shining light of hope and joy that she was during this campaign,” Ryan Truitt, a junior majoring in management information systems, said. 

Truitt is the communications director for the Scales campaign. He also said he wished the team had “two more weeks of campaigning.” 

Norris Davis, Scales’ campaign manager, said he regrets nothing. 

“I know I supported the best candidate for president,” Davis said. 

At the end of the night, every member of the campaign commended one another and Scales made a post on Instagram thanking her supporters and her mother. Scales said she was proud of her campaign and her team. 

After saying goodbye to her campaign team, Scales left the conference room to head to a theatre rehearsal.

For the Scales campaign team, Amber Scales is still the “best candidate with the best campaign,” Norris said.