Alabama men’s golf captures fourth win in seven tournaments

No. 8-ranked Alabama men’s golf carded a final round total of 7-under-par 281 and finished the three-day, 54-hole competition with a 24-under-par 840 en route to a two-shot win against a second placed Georgia and the Crimson Tide’s fourth title in seven tournaments this season.

Senior Lee Hodges had his second-best tournament score of his career shooting 14-under-par. After winning the individual title at the Puerto Rico Classic, Hodges won his second medalist honor in three tries during the spring season

“Lee played stellar golf, especially down the stretch,” Alabama coach Jay Seawell said in a press release. “We had a front move through and I bet the wind was blowing as much as 25 miles per hour over the last nine holes. For him to play under par the way he did was great to see and I was really proud of him.”

Hodges came in to the week ranked No. 23, according to Golfstat.com.

“I felt I played solid all week,” Hodges said. “I never really hit any bad spots and gave myself a chance to get up-and-down for makeable putts. I putted really well which always helps, so I am pleased with how I played overall.”

Hodges’ 17 total birdies and par-4 average score (3.83) were good for a first-place tournament tie with junior Davis Riley. He finished second in the field ranked par 3 scoring average (2.82).  Hodges has not finished below 11th place in any of the three tournaments this spring with 6 of his rounds shot in the 60s.

Riley placed fifth with a total of 6-under-par 210 (69-72-69) in what was his fourth top-five finish of the year. Riley came into the week ranked No. 6 in the country and has shot at least par in 17 of his 21 rounds this year. His 13 birdies over the 54-hole course placed him at eighth-most and second for the Crimson Tide.

Freshman Wilson Furr (73-72-73) had the best day of his collegiate career finishing with 2-over par 218, on the par-72, 7,073 yard Great Waters Gold Club course. He tied for 25th with freshman Davis Shore, who gathered his fifth top-30 finish out of seven tournaments.

Sophomore Josh Sedano withdrew with an injury and was unable to compete in the final round after entering with a 56th overall tie on 5-over-par 149 (72-227).

The Crimson Tide fought of the Bulldogs after pulling away from the 16- team completion. Georgia finished 22-under par 842. Penn State came in third (-8, 856) with Ohio State (861) at fourth and Virginia (865) at the bottom of the top five.

Alabama has seen success in the Linger Longer Invitational with five wins in the last eight years. They play again April 7-8 in Bryan, Texas for the Aggie Invitational.