Alabama women’s golfer named Golfweek Player of the Year

Todd Drexler/SESPORTSMEDIA.com

Coming on the heels of a season in which she helped lead Alabama to a runner-up finish at the NCAA Women’s Golf National Championships, Lauren Stephenson is continuing to compile individual awards.

This week, Stephenson, a junior from Lexington, South Carolina, was named the Golfweek Magazine Player of the Year, becoming the first University of Alabama player to receive the honor in the 20-year history of the award.

Before being awarded the Golfweek Magazine Player of the Year, Stephenson won the Golfstat Cup in May, an honor presented annually to the collegiate golfer who boasts the best scoring average throughout the season. Not only did Stephenson’s scoring average of 69.76 lead the nation, it was also a school record and the lowest in the 20-year history of the Golfstat Cup.

“The honors keep pouring in for Lauren,” Alabama Women’s Golf coach Mic Potter said in a press release. “And they are well deserved. She has put together one of the most historic seasons in college golf in terms of consistency, and it is great that Golfweek has recognized that.”

Stephenson was also named a first team All-American by Golfweek, an honor she shares with teammate Kristen Gillman, a sophomore from Austin, Texas. Junior Cheyenne Knight was announced as a second-team selection. Knight, an Aledo, Texas native, announced earlier this month that she will begin her professional golf career.