Trump mocks Sessions’ Alabama law degree

CW%2F+Joe+Will+Field+

CW/ Joe Will Field

Amanda Le, Contributing Writer

The University of Alabama’s School of Law has provided its students a top-notch education for more than 140 years, so it came as no surprise that President Trump’s condescending comments disparaging Attorney General Jeff Sessions’ law degree from the University offended many Alabamians.

Sessions and Trump have had an increasingly combative relationship since Sessions’ decision to excuse himself from the investigation of Russian interference during the 2016 presidential election, and now, over op-ed controversy. According to an article on Politico, Trump has pushed to fire his attorney general along with mocking his accent and education.

“Trump has come to resent him [Sessions], griping to aides and lawmakers that the attorney general doesn’t have the Ivy League pedigree the president prefers, that he can’t stand his southern accent and that Sessions isn’t a capable defender of the president on television — in part because he ‘talks like he has marbles in his mouth,’ the president has told aides,” the article said.

William Andreen, Clarkson Professor of Law at the University, earned his degree from Columbia University School of Law but said it is possible to get a great education at a school like The University of Alabama.

“I received an excellent education at Columbia, and I have no regrets about that,” Andreen said. “I think you can get a fantastic education here at this university as well as one of the Ivys.

I believe the attorney general also received a wonderful education here at The University of Alabama School of Law. He was a student here with excellent faculty. He most likely had more personal attention from his faculty than I ever had at Columbia. He also probably had more contact with his fellow students here because it’s a smaller community, and it’s a more cohesive community than we had at Columbia.”

According to Business Insider, the University’s law school ranked 13 in the top 50 law schools in the country in 2016 and third among public law schools, with 95 percent of graduates passing the Bar on the first attempt.

Jordan Berry, a current law student at the University, said Trump’s comments make him appear unfamiliar with today’s legal education.

“Regardless of policy preferences, President Trump’s comments seem out of touch with the state of legal education today,” Berry said. “Sure, prestige and school rankings exist. While they can be influential, they are by no means a substantial indicator of someone’s ability. Alabama is a beautifully complex state, historically rich with triumph and tragedy. To attend school here is to gain an invaluable awareness that cannot be found somewhere else. It’s sad to hear the president could have used divisive language rooted in stereotype to cast doubt on a school I am learning to love.”