OPPOSING VIEWS: Nike’s ad campaign is about justice for all

Anna Beth Peters, Staff Columnist

America: land of the free, home of the brave. In this land of democracy, freedom should ring from the mountains to the prairies. The First Amendment gives us the freedom of speech and peaceful assembly, while the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment gives freedom to all Americans – regardless of race, gender, sexuality, etc.

So, tell me this: Why are some Americans granted more freedoms than others? It’s easy to reflect on our society and realize that racial tensions are prevalent throughout the nation. People of color are gunned down in the streets, subject to professional discrimination and more likely to be victims of economic inequality.

Colin Kaepernick took a stand against racial inequality in 2016 when he decided to kneel during the national anthem. Many people find this to be disrespectful to our country’s veterans and patriotic values. However, this was never the former-NFL player’s intentions. Kaepernick consulted with veteran Nate Boyer before kneeling to protest America’s racial inequities.

“We were talking to him about how can we get the message back on track and not take away from the military, not take away from pride in our country but keep the focus on what the issues really are,” Kaepernick said to reporters after his 2016 discussion with Boyer. “… We came up with taking a knee because there are issues that still need to be addressed, and there was also a way to show more respect for the men and women that fight for this country.”

Kaepernick even went on to say: “I’m not anti-American. I love America. … That’s why I’m doing this. I want to help make America better.”

Kaepernick’s motive constantly gets entangled with the idea he hates his country, even though he specified that’s not the case. Why do people automatically expect him to openly pledge his love and support to a country that shows so little concern for people of color?

Nike recently made a bold move by endorsing Kaepernick in their new campaign. This has caused a huge controversy on all platforms, especially social media. There have been several viral posts of people burning their Nike apparel, as well as shaming the brand and the former-NFL player.

Not all heroes have a distinct narrative. The men and women who fight for our country should be honored and highly respected. However, people of color deserve respect too. After centuries of slavery and racial oppression, African-Americans should not have to walk outside with the fear of being gunned down by the people who are supposed to protect them.

Kaepernick once spoke on this: “There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.”

This isn’t about the flag. This isn’t about patriotism. This is about a country that constantly oppresses people of color and has no regard for its inequality.

Furthermore, this protest and the Nike campaign aren’t about Kaepernick. It’s about Trayvon Martin. It’s about Freddie Grey. It’s about Tamir Rice. It’s about Sandra Bland. It’s about Eric Garner. It’s about Mike Brown. It’s about the countless number of black bodies that have been killed without any regard.

This campaign is about justice. It’s about justice for all.

Anna Beth Peters is a sophomore majoring in political science and communications. Her column runs biweekly.