Alabama golf has strong showing in Fighting Illini Invitational

RJ Nealon, Staff Writer

Alabama men’s golf was back in action this past weekend competing at the Olympia Fields/Fighting Illini Invitational. The No. 2 ranked Crimson Tide placed fourth in the event. The tournament was hosted at Olympia Fields Country Club North Course, a par 70, 7,281-yard course that has hosted the U.S Open, PGA Championships and several other prestigious tournaments. The course is in the top-10 in Illinois and top-50 in the United States.

The Crimson Tide was one of ten teams in the 15-team field to be ranked among the top-25 in the nation coming into the event. Alabama closed the three-day 54-hole tournament with an 18-over par 858 (284-283-291).

Senior Davis Riley finished 13th overall with a 2-over par 212 (68-73-71) for his 23rd top-20 career finish. The Alabama golfer tied for the fourth-most birdies made throughout the tournament (11), that number only three behind tournament leader Collin Morikawa of California.

Sophomore Davis Shore showed his best performance of the season as he tied for 14th with a 3-over par 213 (73-68-72) on the par 70, 7,281-yard course. Freshman Frankie Capan III tied for 20th overall after carding a 5-over 215 (70-72-73), the performance gave Alabama three golfers among the top-20 throughout the weekend.

Top-ranked and defending National Champions Oklahoma State claimed the team title with an 11-under 829, beating second place and No. 20 USC (847) by 18 strokes. No. 11 California finished just ahead of Alabama with an 856, and No. 23 UNLV rounded out the top five with an 860.

Alabama will see their next action on Oct. 8-9 when it hosts the Jerry Pate National Intercollegiate at Old Overton Golf Course in Vestavia Hills, Ala. about an hour outside of Tuscaloosa.

“We’ve got three weeks to get ready for the Pate,” head coach Jay Seawell said in a press release. “We’ve gone quick and hard with two tournaments in two weeks to begin the year, so our guys will get a little bit of rest and then we’ll get to work. These next three weeks will be very important to the development of our team, and the Pate comes at a very good time for us. There is going to be great teams and great players, so fans who come out can expect to see some great golf. We are excited to host and defend the title.”