University broadcasts new commercial

Amanda Le, Contributing Writer

After launching its national branding campaign, Where Legends Are Made, in September of 2016, The University of Alabama continues to incorporate the distinguished branding into its third institutional television spot, reaching millions of viewers.

This year’s 30-second commercial launched simultaneously with the University’s first football game on Sept. 1 and will continue to play throughout the year. High-quality visuals and music drive the commercial, as it includes current UA students and faculty doing various activities on campus, a voiceover reading a short script and the campaign’s phrase, “Where Legends Are Made.”

Linda Bonnin, vice president for strategic communications, said the campaign’s intent is to show that students can come to the University and make an impact.

“The campaign is designed to speak to the aspirations of the students and their parents that they can come here and be a legend,” Bonnin said. “It also appeals to alumni and fans — some of that pride that they have in the University when the commercial comes on. So, that was really the intent. We wanted to do something bold and different, but it also had to be authentic to the University. ‘Where legends are made’ really struck a nerve.”

Bonnin said the in-house broadcast team produced the commercial after the script was written, and the filming process began last spring. She also said UA is continuing to spread the branding campaign through print advertisements and billboards.

Caroline Wigley, a junior majoring in public relations and marketing, was a part of the commercial and said she hopes the audience can determine what the University means to her during her three seconds of fame.

“I loved being able to be a part of it,” Wigley said. “It was so neat just to play such a small part in such a huge production that they had put together. When they asked me to be in it — The University of Alabama has given me so much with my time here, and it has equipped me for the rest of my life, more than I could ever imagine. I just hope all those who have watched the commercial can see that legends of all kinds truly do live here.”