Volleyball’s losing streak extends to three games

By Joe Will Field

James Benedetto, Staff Reporter

Alabama volleyball dropped its third straight SEC match in a four-set decision at Tennessee Wednesday night. The Crimson Tide lost the match with set scores of 21-25, 14-25, 25-21 and 20-25.

Junior Ginger Perinar led the Crimson Tide offense with 16 kills as one of three hitters in double figures. Sophomore Doris Carter tallied 11 kills and digs for her fourth double-double of the season. Hayley McSparin finished the match with 10 kills, leading the Crimson Tide in hitting percentage with a .318. Starting libero Kaylee Thomas led the back-row defense with a career-high 21 digs while senior Quincey Gary totaled 12, putting her 30 digs shy of fourth place on Alabama’s career digs list.

For the third game in a row, Alabama dropped the first set of the match. The Crimson Tide continue to struggle offensively hitting under the .150 mark for the third straight match. Alabama finished the match with 26 errors committed, the major factor that left the Crimson Tide with a dismal .105 hitting percentage.

The Lady Vols began to put the match out of reach after opening up a 10-2 lead in the second set forcing the Crimson Tide to take both of its timeout’s early in the set. Although Alabama rallied back to win the third set, Tennessee outlasted the Crimson Tide comeback winning the fourth set, 25-20.