Lecture to focus on history of violence against Mexican immigrants

CW%2F+Joseph+Field+

CW/ Joseph Field

Shahriyar Emami, Staff Reporter

What: “The Injustice Never Leaves You: Anti-Mexican Violence in Texas”: 2018 Gladney Lecture for Justice and Social Change

Who: Monica Muñoz Martinez, award winning author, educator and historian will speak, and the lecture is free and open to the public

When: Wednesday, Oct. 10 from 6-8 p.m.

Where: 205 Gorgas Library

Why:

“This year’s speaker, Dr. Monica Muñoz Martinez, will be discussing the history of violence targeting Mexican immigrants in border communities,” said Mairin Odle, assistant professor of American studies. “Perhaps just as importantly, she’ll be talking about her own work with victims’ families and descendants as they tried to ensure that these stories weren’t forgotten or erased. Her research and advocacy prompted the state of Texas to install several historical markers acknowledging these events.”

The Gladney lecture on justice and social change is named after Professor Emerita Rose Gladney who retired from the University in 2003. This is the fifteenth year the Gladney lecture has been offered.

Odle said Gladney speakers include faith leaders, activists, scholars and journalists who address justice and civil rights issues.

Odle said she hopes students will attend because Martinez is an inspiring example of how community engagement can make a difference.