UA homecoming weekend gets community involved

CW%2F+Jake+Arthur+

CW/ Jake Arthur

Amanda Le, Contributing Writer

WHO: The 2018 SGA Homecoming Committee has been working to provide students, alumni and fans a week’s worth of festivities. Everyone is welcome at this week’s events.

WHAT: The upcoming homecoming parade and football game are the closing events of homecoming week. The parade will consist of various student organizations, floats, the 2018 homecoming queen and the gathering of the Tuscaloosa community. The Alabama football team will be playing the University of Missouri, and results of the spirit cup and homecoming queen will be announced at halftime.

WHEN: The homecoming parade is scheduled for Saturday, Oct. 13 at 1 p.m. The football game will follow that night with kickoff at 6 p.m.

WHERE: The parade is scheduled to begin in downtown Tuscaloosa and will move through the UA campus. The football game will be in Bryant-Denny Stadium.

WHY: Homecoming week is an opportunity for the entire campus to get involved and show school spirit. This year’s theme is “Excellence Lights the Crimson Flame.”

“The homecoming parade is a cool opportunity for the Tuscaloosa community to be involved,” said Rachel Jernigan, executive director of homecoming and a senior majoring in public relations and political science. “We have a lot of floats with outside community members as well as UA students. It’s for anyone to take part in the homecoming festivities.”