Alabama in the NFL: Week Nine

UA Athletics

UA Athletics

RJ Nealon, Staff Writer

Week nine of the NFL season is complete, and former Alabama standouts continue to showcase their skills. Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Julio Jones scored his first touchdown of the season on a 35-yard reception. He finished the game with seven receptions for 121 yards. Calvin Ridley had six receptions for 71 yards, a 6-yard run, and one touchdown. It was Ridley’s seventh touchdown of the season. The Falcons won 38-14 over the Washington Redskins.

Throughout the NFL, there were more than 27 former Alabama players that took the field during week nine.

Chicago Bears safety Eddie Jackson made five tackles, including one behind the line of scrimmage. Jackson also returned a fumble for 65 yards and a touchdown. The Bears won 41-9 over the Buffalo Bills. Since 1970, Jackson joins Deion Sanders (1994) as the only players with three defensive touchdowns of 65 or more yards in a two-season span.

Houston Texans cornerback Kareem Jackson made four tackles and broke up two passes in a 19-17 win over the Denver Broncos. Houston became the second team in NFL history to win six consecutive games after losing their first three games in a season. They now join the 1970 New York Giants in that category.

New Orleans Saints running back Mark Ingram ran for 33 yards on nine carries and had a three-yard reception helping the Saints give the Los Angeles Rams their first loss of the season 45-35.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers tight end O.J. Howard had four receptions for 53 yards and two touchdowns in a 42-28 loss to the Carolina Panthers. In Howard’s 22-game career, it was the second time he scored two touchdowns in a game.

Washington Redskins strong safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix made a team-leading seven tackles in his first game after being traded by the Green Bay Packers. Defensive end Jonathan Allen made three tackles, and Da’Ron Payne made one.

New England Patriots linebacker Dont’a Hightower made four tackles in a 31-17 win over the Green Bay Packers.

Miami Dolphins cornerback Minkah Fitzpatrick made six tackles in a 13-6 win over the New York Jets. It was the first time Fitzpatrick started at outside cornerback. He also saw some action at safety.

Baltimore Ravens middle linebacker C.J. Mosley made a team-high seven tackles, including one behind the line of scrimmage, and broke up a pass. The Ravens lost to the Pittsburg Steelers 23-16.

During Monday Night Football, Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Amari Cooper had five receptions for 58 yards and one touchdown in his first game with the team after being traded by the Oakland Raiders. Tennessee Titans running back Derrick Henry had six carries for 27 yards and one touchdown. The Titans won 28-14.